Before diving into the specifics of leveling Smithing, it’s essential to grasp the fundamental concepts of the skill. Smithing primarily involves working with ores and bars to create various items, ranging from weapons and armor to tools and decorative pieces. To level up Smithing, you gain experience points (XP) by successfully smithing items.
Setting Goals and Milestones
One of the first steps in your journey to 99 Smithing is to set achievable goals and milestones. This will help you stay motivated and track your progress. For instance, you can set milestones at levels 30, 50, 70, and 90, and celebrate your achievements as you reach them. Having a clear roadmap can make the journey more enjoyable.
Preparing Your Inventory and Tools
Before heading to the anvil, make sure you have the necessary tools and materials. Here’s a list of items you should consider having in your inventory:
- Hammer: This is your primary tool for smithing. It’s essential to have one in your inventory at all times.
- Ores and Bars: Depending on your level, you’ll need different types of ores and bars to craft items. Common ores include iron, steel, mithril, adamantite, and rune.
- Stamina Potions: These potions can be helpful for extended smithing sessions, as they reduce your run energy depletion rate.
- Coins: You’ll need coins to use the Blast Furnace, a popular method for leveling Smithing quickly.
Choosing Your Smithing Methods
There are several methods to level up your Smithing skill in OSRS, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most common methods:
- Anvil Smithing: This traditional method involves smelting bars and using them to create various items at an anvil. It’s a slow but cost-effective way to level up.
- Blast Furnace: The Blast Furnace is a popular method for leveling Smithing quickly, especially for higher-level players. It offers increased experience rates but requires coins as payment.
- Questing: Completing certain quests can grant significant Smithing XP rewards. For example, “The Knight’s Sword” quest rewards you with a substantial boost to your Smithing level.
- Artisan’s Workshop: This method is available to members and offers a unique training experience with activities like ceremonial swords. It’s known for its high XP rates.
Efficient Training Methods
Now, let’s delve into some efficient training methods that can help you level up your Smithing skill effectively:
- Levels 1-30: Bronze to Steel Bars: Start with basic items like bronze and iron bars. You can smith items like bronze daggers or iron nails until you reach level 30.
- Levels 30-99: Blast Furnace: From level 30 onwards, you can utilize the Blast Furnace to smelt bars at an accelerated rate. This method is known for its efficiency and is favored by many players aiming for 99 Smithing.
- Alternative Methods: For those who prefer variety, consider creating cannonballs, which can be profitable and provide decent XP rates, especially in the higher levels.
Efficiency is key when striving for 99 Smithing. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your training sessions:
- Use Mouse Keys: Enabling Mouse Keys on your computer can significantly speed up your actions, making it easier to click accurately and quickly.
- Focus on High XP Items: Prioritize crafting high XP items as you level up. For example, creating rune items offers better XP rates than lower-tier items.
- Take Breaks: Smithing can be repetitive and time-consuming. To avoid burnout, take short breaks or switch to other skills occasionally.
Tracking Your Progress
Tracking your progress is crucial to staying motivated and reaching your goals. You can use in-game tools like the “Adventurer’s Log” or external resources like spreadsheets to monitor your Smithing XP gains.
The Final Stretch
As you approach level 99, you’ll likely find it increasingly challenging to level up. This is the perfect time to focus on efficiency and consistency. Stick to your chosen training method and keep an eye on your goal.
Celebrating the Achievement
Achieving 99 Smithing is a remarkable accomplishment in OSRS. Once you’ve reached this milestone, take the time to celebrate your dedication and hard work. Share your achievement with friends and fellow players, and consider using your newfound expertise to create valuable items for profit or to enhance your adventures in Gielinor.