Old School RuneScape offers a plethora of skills for players to train, and Magic is one of the most versatile and powerful skills in the game. Whether you’re a budding wizard or an experienced mage looking to achieve the coveted 99 Magic level, this guide will provide you with a comprehensive roadmap to reach your goal. We’ll cover essential information, training methods, and tips to make your journey to 99 Magic efficient and enjoyable.
Understanding the Basics
Before diving into the specific training methods, it’s crucial to understand the basics of Magic in OSRS.
- Magic Spells: Magic in OSRS involves casting spells that have various effects, from combat to utility. These spells are categorized into different spellbooks, including the Standard, Ancient, Lunar, and Arceuus spellbooks.
- Experience Points (XP): To level up your Magic skill, you need to gain experience points. You earn Magic XP by casting spells, and the amount of XP earned depends on the spell’s level and the accuracy of the cast.
- Runes and Equipment: Magic spells require runes to cast. The type and number of runes needed depend on the spell. Wearing equipment like staves or wands can reduce rune consumption and increase spell accuracy.
- Spellbooks: You can switch between spellbooks at specific altars around Gielinor. Each spellbook offers unique spells, and your choice depends on your goals, whether it’s combat, skilling, or utility.
Now that you have a grasp of the fundamentals, let’s explore the various training methods to reach 99 Magic.
1. Combat Magic Training
Combat spells are an excellent way to level up your Magic while engaging in combat. Here are some popular options:
- Casting Strike Spells: Start with low-level strike spells (Wind, Water, Earth, Fire) and work your way up to higher-level spells as your Magic level increases. Slayer tasks and combat training are great opportunities to use these spells effectively.
- High-Alchemy: The High-Level Alchemy spell is a fantastic way to train Magic while making a profit. It converts items into coins, and you can alch various items like rune armor, weapons, and jewelry.
- Burst and Barrage Spells: At higher levels, consider using burst and barrage spells from the Ancient spellbook. These are excellent for multi-target combat, such as in the Nightmare Zone or the Catacombs of Kourend.
2. Enchanting and Teleportation
Enchanting and teleportation spells not only provide Magic XP but also offer utility for skilling and convenience in the game:
- Enchanting Jewelry: Enchanting amulets, rings, and other jewelry is a profitable way to train Magic. Notable enchantment spells include Lvl-1, Lvl-2, and Lvl-3 Enchant.
- Teleportation Spells: Teleportation spells like Varrock Teleport, Lumbridge Teleport, and Camelot Teleport provide fast XP and quick transportation to key locations. You can also use the Arceuus spellbook for additional teleportation options.
3. Splashing and Curse-Alching
For afkable training methods, consider splashing and curse-alching:
- Splashing: This method involves using low-level combat spells with negative magic bonuses, ensuring you consistently miss your targets. This grants you XP over time without needing constant attention.
- Curse-Alching: Similar to high-alchemy, curse-alching combines cursing spells with alchemy. You’ll gain Magic XP while also converting items into coins.
4. Superheat Item
Superheat Item is a unique training method that combines Magic with Smithing. It allows you to smelt ore into bars without the need for a furnace:
- Profitable Smithing: This method can be profitable, especially when high-alching the bars you create. It’s an efficient way to level both Magic and Smithing simultaneously.
5. Lunar and Arceuus Spellbooks
Don’t forget to explore the Lunar and Arceuus spellbooks for unique training methods:
- Lunar Spells: This spellbook includes various utility spells like Plank Make and Spellbook Swap. Some of these spells provide Magic XP while offering useful in-game benefits.
- Arceuus Spells: The Arceuus spellbook is primarily used for Necromancy spells and teleportation. It offers an alternative way to train Magic and access specific locations.
Tips for Efficient Training
Achieving 99 Magic is a significant accomplishment, and these tips will help you make the most of your training:
- Use Experience-Boosting Items: Equip items like the Void Knight gear, the Imbued Heart, or the Kodai Wand to boost your Magic XP rates.
- Complete Achievement Diaries: Completing diaries can unlock experience lamps and additional rewards that can aid in your Magic training.
- Alternate Training Methods: To avoid burnout, switch between different training methods to keep the experience fresh and enjoyable.
- Take Advantage of Bonus XP Events: Keep an eye on in-game events like Double XP Weekends, which can significantly speed up your progress.
- Set Milestones: Break down your goal into smaller milestones, such as reaching 90 Magic, to stay motivated throughout your journey.
Reaching 99 Magic in Old School RuneScape is a substantial achievement that requires dedication, time, and strategy. Whether you prefer combat spells, enchantments, or utility spells, there are plenty of options to suit your playstyle. With the right training methods and tips, you can master the arcane arts and become a formidable mage in the world of Gielinor. Good luck on your path to 99 Magic!